A Stay at Home Original, the Summer Cooler: Aperol, gin, grapefruit, lemon, Angostura

Sometimes I can't think of a good name. Sometimes I just want to drink something straight. But that doesn't make for a good cocktail blog. After drinking some Aperol on the rocks and realizing that I had one grapefruit left from my winter grapefruit buying frenzy, I knew the two had to go together. (For those wondering, I wrote this post several months ago, but I now figure it's time to post it. Grapefruit may no longer be in season, but you can still find them.)

Why is it time for a Summer Cooler? Because it's hot in Houston. One day, it's 90 degrees and beautiful. The next day it's 95 and humid. That's Houston in June. Summer is here.

No matter when, it's a good time for a Summer Cooler. To make one, combine
The Summer Cooler: Aperol, gin, grapefruit, lemon, Angostura
shake with ice, and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish it if you want. Or just leave it as is. A sprig of mint would actually be tasty with it. Or a grapefruit peel. Or just drink it as is. I'm feeling lazy, so I'm not garnishing it. Hell, I like Aperol by itself. Anything else is gravy.

But you know, mashed potatoes aren't done until there's gravy.