The Salsa Martini

In keeping with the savory cocktail theme of the last post, I decided to describe an experiment in mixology. From time to time, I create my own drinks, and some times they work and sometimes they don't. In the past, I have kept my failures to myself. This keeps mixology in the dark, however, and I believe in openness, so I have decided to use my mixology creations as learning experiments for everyone in the Stay at Home Cocktails realm.

Cue Salsa Martini.

About two months ago, I decided to take some of my tequila and steep it in my homegrown jalapenos. I chopped up a jalapeno and put it in about 3/4 of a cup of tequila. But I didn't have a use for it. I kept thinking about spicy tequila and how to use it, but I couldn't figure it out. I'm one step closer to knowing what not to do with it.

Here was my idea:

Believe it or not, it's not that bad. Not the best tasting thing, but some of the flavors actually work. The smell of the tomato is the worst part because it is so overwhelming. Once that is past, there's the heat. This tequila is hot. I only steeped it for a few hours, but it is hot. And I mean hot. Wait, did I say, "hot"?

The lime works well; the cilantro adds an interesting aroma. But the tomato just doesn't cut it. I guess there is a reason the tomato is not used in more drinks.

I won't make this one again, not with the tomato like that. I have an idea for how to address that issue that I will think about making in a few days...